Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means if you click on the link and purchase an item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Kevin Clash was right to step down as Elmo as more and more accuser are coming forward claiming the Elmo puppeteer has been engaging in underage sex with teenage boys for years. This accusation will mark the third man to come forward in alleging an underage relationship with Clash. The new accuser, “John Doe” was 16 at the time of the relationship back in 2000 according to the NY Daily News. He is now 29 years old and will be filing a lawsuit in Manhattan Federal Court today.
A spokeswoman for the puppeteer said, “Mr. Clash believes this lawsuit has no merit.”
Herman said his client started writing a book in 2009 describing his experience with Clash.
The lawyer said he will have pages from that book at a press conference Tuesday to announce the lawsuit.
Herman said the accuser is from the South and was in high school when he came to New York 13 years ago for modeling work.
He said his client connected with Clash — who went under the pseudonym “Craig” and claimed to be only 30 years old — on a gay chat line. The two chatted for a couple of days and then Craig invited the 16-year-old to his apartment.
In the apartment, Herman said his client realized Craig was older than 30. They also engaged in “some sexual activity.”
Herman said his client met Clash again in 2003 and 2004, and over a period of time figured out who Clash was.
“He saw Elmo dolls, an Emmy award and photographs of Elmo with movie stars,” said Herman.
Last week, 24-year-old Cecil Singleton of Manhattan — also represented by Herman — filed a $ 5 million lawsuit, accusing Clash of sexual relations when he was 15. The week prior, another young man, Sheldon Stephens, said he had intercourse with Clash when he was only 16 years old.
Poor Elmo is being dragged through the mud!!